Well , finally we are raising the issue! i was on the Rig a couple of mths bck and my friend bill (Fmr tool pusher, been working on the rig for over 38 yrs ) . Raised this issue with me . He is of the opinion that our industry (I WORK ON A RIG) would not do too well with either an Obama or Hillary Presidency . Reason , they are environmentalist who have very strong views about protecting the environment and all that is contained in it. I dont have a problem. Afterall i live in this world . But i must say that the availability of crude oil derivatives has made living a lot more better.
The American economy to a large extent still depends on the availabilty of crude to provide gas and to meet other energy demands. I find it repulsive when politicians in a bid to score political points promise a life of non crude oil usage or better still foreign oil , as if the usage of crude is the worst thing that ever happened to mankind. Take for instance an ad placed by Obama in recent times Where he said the following
Since the gas lines of the ’70s, Democrats and Republicans have talked about energy independence, but nothing’s changed -- except now Exxon’s making $40 billion a year, and we’re paying $3.50 for gas.I’m Barack Obama. I don’t take money from oil companies or Washington lobbyists, and I won’t let them block change anymore. They’ll pay a penalty on windfall profits. We’ll invest in alternative energy, create jobs and free ourselves from foreign oil. I approve this message because it’s time that Washington worked for you. Not them. "
It is very ironic that OBAMA in trying to create jobs from alternative sectors forgets the percentage that would be unemployed by strategies as he has proposed.
Hillary had the same attitude , but porposes a long term plan to reduce dependence on foreign . Good yes. laughable better,. how many cars are run on non oil derivatives ? how long will it take for the Auto industry to have a shift that would accomodate non oil derivatives .the discovery of oil a blessing or curse? Do the draw backs of non dependence on foreign oil encroach on Big sams foreign policy? especially on trade .What are the long term effects of the largest consumer of crude not buying from oil producing nations and the chain reaction on other sectors of the American economy and other world economies? Too many ?s
I do hope that industry watchers are seeing all of this , Looking at the growing unrest in the middle east as well as the activities of militants in parts of the Niger delta in Nigeria , it appears that bleak times lay ahead with the proposed plans of these aspirants. i must say as you may be thinking that i am a Republican who wants to fire Mcain into the white House if you are thinking that then a big NO is the anwer emphatically i must add. I am just a concerned petroleum engineer stating my case.
Tuesday, June 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment